Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. For more info please see my disclosure policy.
The junk is piling up and if you haven’t started summer cleaning yet then there is clearly something wrong. But don’t worry, we all understand the boredom that is inevitably bestowed upon you guys when you pick up that vacuum. Cleaning and fun weren’t words that belonged in the same sentence. Well now, they do. This year is going to be different – by making summer cleaning fun, you’ll get a cleaner house quicker and faster! Roll up your sleeves and let’s get started!
Yes, you will give a reward, to…yourself! I’m pretty sure everyone likes rewards, especially when it is deserved. When you complete big tasks in your summer clean, you should reward yourself. It’s one of the simplest pleasures you can receive and you can share it with people around you. Here are some examples:
- When your kitchen is sparkling clean, take your partner out and have a meal at a fancy restaurant. If you’re a stay-at-home kind of person, then have a nice home cooked meal while watching a movie.
- When your garden is cleared up and ready for the summer, take a trip to the national park in your area and spend the day relaxing—you deserve it!
- After the sheets have been replaced and the bedrooms are done, find a close-by bed and breakfast and book a night with your significant-other.
- If your kids have helped you clean, reward them with an enjoyable family friendly activity—go to a museum or a park or swimming, the list goes on…my personal favourite is a nice picnic in the shining summer sun.
- When the living room is clean, grab some popcorn and go out for a movie.
Looking forward to something will speed up the process. There are tons of ways to reward yourself and your loved ones. I know, you want to get started already, don’t you!
A housewarming party
Organise a post-clean-up party. After you have gathered all your old junk and unwanted items, why not throw a party? Invite your friends over and ask them to bring all the stuff they gathered—you guys can swap items, give it to charity, whatever you want. Have a good laugh with your friends and show off your crispy clean home!
We all love walking into garage sales on a hot Sunday morning. Gather up some extra money by hosting one yourself. All the unwanted items you gathered can be sold in one spot. Invite your neighbours to come have a look and get to know them better. Offer them discounts and other friendly promotions—you would have thrown these things out anyway.
I don’t mean a dance party. Because that would leave your house messier than it was before your summer clean. What I’m saying is put those earphones in or throw on your favourite CD. Dance to your clean-up. It’ll be good exercise. Once you get into that rhythm you’ll never want to stop cleaning. Vacuum cleaners make a good dance partner—they may be passive but it’s better than nothing, right?
Try out your new moves later on when you reward yourself for finishing up by going to a party or two.
The main point here is to be creative. Do whatever you want—dress up, play music, hold parties, etc. By looking forward to something, and setting rewards for completion, you’ll get cleaning done better and faster. Think outside the box and I’m sure that this year’s summer clean will be one to remember!
Sohaib Siddique works for Anyjunk, who provide junk cleanout through fantastic service and responsible disposal. Anyjunk is an easy and eco-friendly alternative to skip hire. Their man and van crews take all types of waste, from furniture and electrical appliances to refurbishment waste and garden refuse.