Having a background as a music teacher, I often get the asked what resources are available for homeschoolers to grow in their music studies. As such, today I’d like to share with you an Ultimate List of Online Music Education Games available for FREE to public and homeschoolers alike to have fun while learning more about music. Whether playing via iPad, SmartBoard, or laptop, each resource provides supportive games and activities to reinforce music concepts at home. For your browsing convenience, these online music education games are organized into the following categories: aural training, composers, composition, instruments, notation, symbols/vocabulary and variety.
Note: Links updated 12/8/2021 to remove all outdated games that formerly used Flash Player.
- Quia Composer Fun Concentration–match composer with a famous work
- Quia Composer Fun Word Search–find composers in this word search and learn which which famous works they wrote
- Quia Composer Fun Matching–match composers with a famous work
- Fun Brain Word Scramble–given a clue, unscramble the word to name the composer
- Fun Brain Composers Stay Afloat–play hangman to name the composer
- Hansel and Gretel: Design Your Own Opera–customize this musical experience to learn about opera in the process
- PBS Cyberchase Pattern Player–create visual and melodic musical patterns
- Fun Brain Musical Instruments Word Scramble–given a clue, unscramble the word to reveal the instrument
- Fun Brain Instruments Stay Afloat–play hangman to name the instrument
- Quia Instrument Quiz–a 21 question quiz on the orchestra instrument families
- Quia Rags to Riches–like “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” with questions limited to the orchestral instruments.
- Funbrain The Piano Player–staff and piano keys recognition
- Musicards Note Names—treble clef flash cards
- Musicards Intervals—treble and bass clef interval flash cards
- Musicards Triads—treble clef triad flash cards for chord and inversion recognition
- Music Teacher Games–many games for staff, piano key, rhythm, and aural recognition
- Music Press Distress–collect the notes for the desired value
- Eek! Shark!–treble and bass clef staff recognition
Symbols and Vocabulary
- Quia Musical Elements Matching–match musical elements and their definitions
- Quia Music Vocabulary Matching–match vocabulary and definitions
- Quia Music Vocabulary Concentration–match vocabulary and definitions
- Quia Vocabulary Word Search–find vocabulary in a word search
- Musicards Key Signatures—key signature flash cards
Music Education Games Covering Multiple Categories
These websites could not be limited to one particular musical focus but have several online music education games covering a wide-variety of musical instruments and elements.
- Music Theory.Net—lessons, tools, and customizable exercises for note, key, interval, choral, and keyboard note recognition both on the staff and aurally
- Music Learning Community–games to reinforce notation, symbols, intervals, and more
- Quia Music Review—Jeopardy-like game to review music elements, notation, instruments, rhythm and more
- Creative Kids Education Foundation Projects–learn about opera, composers, musical styles and more with different projects
- eMusic Theory Practice–exercises to practice note names, piano keys, string instrument fingerings, rhythms, intervals, chords, scales, and more
- Music Tech Teacher–over 130 elementary quizzes, puzzles, and games on music notes, rhythms, instruments, composers, and more
- Teoria–Music theory and aural training tutorials and exercises
Looking for free online education games for another subject area? Check out the other posts in the One Humongous List of Free Online Education Games Series for a complete roundup.
**Did I leave out one of your favorite online music education games? Feel free to let me know in the comments and I’ll be glad to add it to the links above for others! In order for online games/activities to be included in the above list they must be FREE, ONLINE, INTERACTIVE, and EDUCATIONAL. Thanks for your help in making this an even more ULTIMATE musical resource.