“Okay girls, stop playing. It’s time to eat”
(some time later)
“Girls, stop using your fingers as people, and eat your food.”
(and still later)
“GIRLS! If the playing doesn’t stop, then you will be finished eating.”
Does this sound at all like the conversation at your house around the dinner table? Well, it has definitely graced our table MANY times. Our girls LOVE to play make believe, but sometimes they don’t know where to stop. Or, if it is not playing, it is interrupting others at the table. Neither of which is acceptable.
Thus we have started experimenting with several table games. one of which we shared with you last fall which has been GREAT for helping us gain control of our table manners and attention.
Now we are doing our best to find ways to make good use of that time around the table together…in meaningful conversation. So today it’s all about Table Talk Conversations. What questions could you be asking your family members to spur on positive conversation and involve everyone at your table? Here are some great places to start gathering those questions and keep your family engaged at the table for years!
Questions to Ask Your Family Around the Dinner Table
- 30 Family Dinner Questions on How Does She
- 100 Questions Printable: Dinner Table Talk on Cleverly Inspired
- Conversation Starters for Families on The Dating Divas
- 100 Would You Rather Questions for Kids on The Measured Mom
- Family Dinner Conversation Starters on Seven Thirty Three Blog
- Kid Talk 1.0 on iMom
- Christmas Table Talk Cards on Women’s Ministry Toolbox
- Free Printable Conversation Starters on All for the Boys
- Dinner Conversations Jar and Topics on Happiness is Homemade
- Tips for Great Dinnertime Conversations on Power of Moms
- Kid Talk 2.0 on iMom
- s’UPper Jar: Talking at the Dinner Table on Just Another Day in Paradise
- Printable Family Conversation Cards on Childhood 101
- Adolescence Conversation Starters on Family Minute
- Printable Conversation Starters on around the Table
- Family Conversation Cards on Faith Along the Way
- Dinner Discussions on Every Day Truth
- Conversation Starter Questions on Beauty and Bedlam
- Thanksgiving Conversation Starters for Kids on Fivespot Green Living
- Conversation Starters for Kids on B-Inspired Mama!
Rather buy a box with 135 questions already pre-printed and ready to go? Then you may want to try these Table Topics boxes or Family Talk Rings. Just be sure to select one that specifies that it is family friendly. Otherwise, you may be asking questions at your table that you would have rather kept under wraps.