Did you know New Zealanders are the inventors of many modern medical inventions like the child-proof medicine cap? Do you know why New Zealanders are called Kiwis? Have you ever heard of the food Mumu?
This year we are taking a virtual trip around the world, learning all about different cultures, countries, missionaries, and more. Our second week we learned all about New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. We traveled across the mountains and beaches of New Zealand to the village of Papua New Guinea all via virtual reality.
Below is a list of resources we used to learn more about these fascinating countries. May these fun resources help your study of New Zealand’s and Papua New Guinea’s geography come alive too!
Engaging Geography Resources for the Study of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea
- Elizabeth: Queen of the Seas by Lynne Cox
- David Bussau: Facing the World Head On by Janet & Geoff Benge
- John Flynn: Into the Never Never by Janet & Geoff Benge
- Race for the Record by Dave and Neta Jackson
- Sinking the Dayspring by Dave and Neta Jackson
- A Question of Yams by Gloria Repp
- When the Cassowary Pooped by Tamara Montgomery
- John Williams: Messenger of Peace by Janet & George Benge
- Choose a Maori game to play with friends and/or family
- Do a Google Earth search for New Zealand or Papua New Guinea
- Make a Kiwi Craft
- Color the New Zealand flag
- Host a pretend birthday party, New Zealand style, complete with onion dip and potato chips, Hokey Poke, cheerios, and fairy bread
- Play a game of tin with some friends
- Make Mumu for dinner
- Color the Papua New Guinea flag
What other amazing resources for New Zealand or Papua New Guinea would you add to this list? Share in the comments below!