Do you know what food people eat in Australia that Americans despise? Have you ever played Kanteen? Or, do you know what a wombat looks like?
This year we are taking a virtual trip around the world, learning all about different cultures, countries, missionaries, and more. Our first week was all about Australia. We traveled through Sydney, ventured up to Caines and the Great Barrier Reef, and even took a brief trip out to the Outback all via virtual reality.
Below is a list of resources we used to learn more about this fascinating country. May these fun resources help your study of Australia’s geography come alive too!Make your world travels a virtual reality trip starting here in #Australia!Click To Tweet
Engaging Geography Resources for the Study of Australia
Books About Australia
- Australia and Oceania by Mel Friedman
- Over in Australia by Marianne Berkes
- If You Were Me and Lived In…Australia: A Children’s Introduction to Cultures Around the World by Carole P. Roman
- Dingos at Dinnertime by Mary Pope Osborne
- Possum Magic by Mem Fox
- Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French
- Color an Australian Flag
- Play Kanteen with friends (Also called the ‘kangaroo-play’, the players jumping up to catch the ball resembled the movements of a kangaroo. Keentan was known by the Kalkadoon nation in north-west central districts of Queensland.)
- Australia States Quiz
- Label the Australian states and capitals using this map (check your answers here)
- Decorate boomerangs or make a didgeridoo
- Great Barrier Reef Game
- Reef IQ Game
- Cook some Australian dishes such as Australian Meat Pie (served with mushy peas and mashed potatoes) and/or Pavlova
What other amazing resources for Australia would you add to this list? Share in the comments below!