Disclaimer: I received product and compensation in exchange for this review. However, as always, all opinions expressed are 100% my own; I only recommend products or services that I feel are beneficial to my readers and my family. For more information on Cornerstone Confessions review policies, please see my full disclosure policy.
Are you looking for an easy alternative to teaching science in your homeschool? Do you ever wish teaching science could be easier? Tired of scrounging around looking for all the supplies you need to complete an experiment only to realize you have to make a trip to the store first?
Last year we used the Magic School Bus for science, and the girls loved it. Their favorite part? The experiments! Their mom’s least favorite part? The experiments. Why? Because I had to get everything together ahead of time. The supplies. The instructions. The books. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the experiments or lessons themselves. It’s just that I didn’t enjoy the getting ready part. Thus, when I discovered the homeschool subscriptions by Insight to Learning I was stoked. They did all the prep work for me!
Favorite Features of the Science Kits
- They are organized! I was amazed when I opened the box. Every lesson’s supplies was organized and labeled into different bags. Ready for lesson 3? Just pull out the bag and go! I didn’t even have to search the box for the items needed.
- Each lesson includes a book. This fits right in with our Charlotte Mason philosophy. The books introduce the lesson for the day and includes literature by highly rated authors such as Cynthia Rylant, Gail Hartman, and Kimiko Kajiawa.
- Each lesson only took about 20 minutes. For the kit we received, each lesson included a short read aloud, and a game, activity, or simple experiment.
- All worksheets, flashcards, and other printables are already copied for you. The flashcards are even laminated for durability. It is literally an open and go system.
- Teacher created lesson plans for each activity are included. They include everything from questions to ask to dialogue you can read to your child as an introduction to the lesson.
Our First Impression
So far we have tried the Earth Systems 2nd grade Science Kit which was great for not only my 7 year old but also my 5 year old. They have been learning about land forms, bodies of water, the water cycle, and natural disasters. They have had to compare and contrast the effects sea ice and glaciers on the earth, create a 3D diagram of the water cycle, and create a 3D landforms map. We have also played a game of concentration, go-fish, and created a dam.
The results? Both girls can tell you all about the water cycle and land forms in detail and recognize them in the world around us. Just recently we were traveling across a lake when one girl pointed out an island while the other pointed out a peninsula. They got it! Other vocabulary that obtained through the use of these kits include mesa, valley, coast, plain, valley, condensation, precipitation, evaporation, tsunami, and more.
Interested in Getting These Science Kits for Your Homeschool?
Visit Insight to Learning to learn more and get started with your homeschool subscription which includes a new grade appropriate science kit every 6-8 weeks. By the way, every new customer gets 50% of their first month’s subscription price*!
*No expiration date. When a customer signs up on the website, Insight to Learning will mail a check for 50% off ($12.50) in the first shipment to the customer.
What is your child’s favorite part about science?