It’s cold outside so its no wonder this month is National Soup Month. Around here we love soup, especially in the winter, and especially when I can use a slow cooker. Soups taste great and often require little hands-on time which is a win-win for me.
Late last month I took an allergy test and discovered that I have a “foods to avoid” list that is a mile long. Thus, I’ve been on the search for good tasting food that is easy to fix and the whole family will still enjoy. This new recipe definitely fits the bill. On top of that, it provides yummy leftovers.
[bctt tweet=”January is National Soup Month. Here’s what soup I’ll be trying this month. Yum!”]
I originally found this recipe on Paleo Comfort Foods, but quickly modified it to work in a slow cooker. It tastes great no matter which version you use. And while I thought I’d miss my tortilla chips in soup, it really isn’t necessary with this recipe. Once you add avocado on top, you won’t need anything else. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 6 hr
Total Time: 6 hr 5 min
- 2 pounds chicken breast cooked and diced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 qts (8 cups) chicken stock
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 limes Juice of
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- avocado and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Mix the oil, chicken breast, and taco seasoning together in your slow cooker until well coated.
- Place onion, garlic, and peppers in a Ninja or blender. Chop to desired consistency.
- Place onion mixture, chicken stock, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.
- Serve with diced avocado.
Amount Per Serving
Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg
Sodium: 380 mg
Sugar: 4.7 g
Carbohydrate: 11 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 31 g
Note: I use this homemade taco seasoning for our soups. It’s fast to make, and I get compliments on it all the time.
Taste and see that Yahweh is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. (Psalm 34:8)