We have been very excited to get our 2014-2015 year on it’s way. In fact, we started on July 14th! I know. Sounds weird to start school in the middle of summer, but for us it works well because we are then able to have several holidays scheduled throughout the year and still finish by the middle of May.
So what are we studying this year? Well I gave a little sneak peak when I shared How Much it Really Costs to Homeschool a Kindergartner, but now that we’ve begun I’m excited to share what homeschool curriculum is working for us so far. For those of you new to homeschooling or looking for curriculum ideas, please do not be overwhelmed by this post. We do not do everything listed every single day and rarely “do school” for more than 2 1/2 hours a day.
- AWANA Clubs Sparks Book 1: HangGlider (alongside our church’s AWANA program)
- The ABC’s of Handling Money God’s Way by Howard and Bev Dayton
- My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God’s Word in Little Hearts by Susan Hunt
- Hymns for a Kid’s Heart, Vol. 1 by Bobbie Wolgemuth
- Hymns for a Kid’s Heart, Vol. 2 by Bobbie Wolgemuth
- Christmas Carols for a Kid’s Heart by Bobbie Wolgemuth
- Passion Hymns for a Kid’s Heart by Bobbie Wolgemuth
- Mystery of History, Vol. 1: Creation to Resurrection by Linda Lacour Hobar
- The Story of the World, Vol. 1: Ancient Times by Susan Wise Bauer
- The Usborne Internet-Linked Ancient World by Fiona Chandler
- This Corresponding Chapters MOH and SOTW Guide that puts these two great history texts together for a clearer Christian understanding of Ancient History
- Daily read aloud books take from suggestions at the end of each history text
- Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling by Dolores G. Hiskes
- Picture Sorting, Gr. K-2 by Sue Lewis
- Daily spelling words from Phonics Pathways reading using Eureka Letter Tiles
- Daily read alouds taken from this Ultimate Guide to 5-Star Books for Kindergartners by Reading Level List
- Self-made handwriting sheets based on Peanut’s AWANA verse of the week.
- 106 Days of Creation Studies by Sonya Shafer
- Primary Mathematics 1A and 1B by Singapore Math
- Mind Benders, Book 1 by Michael Baker
- Several read aloud picture books like the Action of Subtraction, The Greedy Triangle, and Fraction Action.
- What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- What Your First Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- Collection of crafts/activities associated with math, science, or one of the supplemental resources above.
- Family Time Fitness Core 1 (My husband is teaching this and we are LOVING it! I can’t say enough!)
In addition we also schedule in several iPad and computer games, local field trips, and kid-friendly related movies.
Age: nearly 3
This year I am very excited to once again bring out my Encompass Preschool Curriculum with Teacup. However, since Teacup has more fun learning from Peanut as she goes along we have chosen to do 5 boxes a day instead of 10 as I originally did with Peanut. This allows Teacup to also participate in Peanut’s Bible, Read Aloud, Science, Art, Physical Education, and Foreign Language time. They both love it.
- Encompass Preschool Curriculum
- BIG Preschool Workbook by School Zone
- Preschool Practice Scissor Skills by Joan Hoffman
By the way, for those of you completing the Encompass Preschool Curriculum, upon beginning it again with Teacup I realized that School Zone COMPLETELY changed their workbook layout. As such, I have created a 2008/2013 edition conversion chart to help you know which pages coincide with the new edition. And for those looking to purchase the curriculum, the conversion chart is now included in the Encompass so no additional download is needed.
What is on your homeschool curriculum list this year?
Join the 2014 Homeschool Curriculum Hop by clicking on the link below.
And Jesus advanced in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. (Luke 2:52)