Confession: Instagram is definitely the newest social media platform for me but I’m quickly learning to enjoy it. It’s a fun way to share the real life scenes going on around our house…including both the hysterical and educational.
As a blogger, I was at first baffled by the importance of Instagram. However, upon asking about 60 teens at a recent choral conference what their favorite social media platform was, I was surprised to find that Instagram was by far the most popular platform for this upcoming generation. So how can it help you as a blogger since you can’t really connect your blog content directly to your Instapics? Well here are a few Instagram tips and tricks that may reveal how you can use this image oriented platform to your marketing advantage.
10 Instagram Tips and Tricks for Bloggers
- Add a watermark with your blog’s URL over your images using an app such as iWatermark. I personally do this not only for blog promotion but so that my pics cannot be easily stolen should they be shared across multiple social media platforms.
- Use a picture of you or your family using an affiliate or personal product. If you are paid to do this, make sure to use the hashtag #ad.
- Use hashtags. For a list of currently popular hashtags check out web.stagram.com but don’t think popular hashtags are the only way to go. This is one platform where hashtags are also used for emphasis and humor so have fun with it!
- Use eye-pleasing filters and borders. The most popular filters are Lo-Fi, X-Pro II, Amaro, Rise, and Hudson.
- Make your images stand out by using popular instagram enhancing apps such as InstaCollage, InstaEffects, or InstaFrame.
- Show your real world side. While everyone likes great content they also like knowing that the person providing the great content is a real person…with real mistakes…and real messes. Believe it or not, knowing you are relateable increases your likeableness.
- Share your Instagram pics on Facebook and/or Twitter…on occasion. This will in turn increase your engagement on other platforms as well.
- Post between 5 and 6 p.m. This is when engagement is the highest with Thursdays being the most active day of the week. If you can’t do it then, try for first thing in the morning or on Sundays when others usually have the most down time.
- Complete your bio being sure to include your blog’s URL.
- Post a short video inviting your followers to check out the day’s blog post. This is one I haven’t done but don’t be surprised if I start to incorporate it occasionally in the near future. I love this idea!
Have any Instagram tips you’ve found to be effective as a blogger?
Share them below! I’d love to hear them. AND, share your Instagram profile while you’re at it. I’m all about following fellow bloggers on social media. Can’t wait to find you soon!
Take it to the next level with these resources:
- Follow me (CornerstoneKat) on Instagram
- My Social Media Pinterest Board which includes tips for everything from Instagram to G+ and more.
This post is the 5th of 12 in the 144 Plan to Social Media Smarts. To learn more about the 144 Plan or catch up on a missed post, check out the complete 144 Plan Training Log.
Therefore, consider carefully how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of the time because the days are evil. Because of this do not become foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Ephesians 5:15–17)